OPEC is not about being fair, it's about making money for the middle eastern nations. The recent spike in gas prices followed by the US economy collapsing, has actually been good for the US. It caused the middle east more pain than any war we could start. Instead it made normal Americans who normally wouldn't think twice, cut their driving and switch to more efficient vehicles. It was reported that Americans drove 100 billion less miles in the previous 12 months than they did in the 12 months prior to that. That number is staggering to me.
I know from personal experience that I get passed a lot less now while I drive the speed limit than I used to. The rising gas prices caused a lot of people to slow down. Even with driving the same number of miles they were saving gas.
I would like to see this trend continue. It's beneficial for the environment and national security.
Some things that I would like to see more of to continue this trend include:
- Telecommuting - working from home can cut a lot of mileage.
- Teleconferences - Instead of traveling to a meeting call in.
- Car Pooling - Find someone you live near that works on the same schedule with you. Even if you can save a few days a week it's worth it.
- Web Training - I've noticed more training is being offered as a web class that you don't have to travel to a remote site for training. Some of these are live all day sessions with a teacher that you can interact with, some are learn at your own pace things. Investigate these options before paying the extra travel and lodging costs associated with a training facility.
- Use the smallest vehicle that you need. Some families need a van or SUV, some construction people need a pick-up truck. Many people only need a car.
- Walk/bicycle to local stores. Shop as close to home as you can.